How to Grow Followers for Your Sewing Blog
Do you love sewing and your vintage sewing machine so much you have to write about it all the time?! We don’t blame you! Sewing is something that has become more popular in recent years.
Older generations all knew how to sew, but sewing as a skill died out in the late 20th Century. Clothes had become so cheap, it didn’t seem worth making your own. But then ethical concerns came in – how were these cheap outfits being made? And is it sustainable to create a demand for tops and trousers that can be thrown away after only a few wears?
There are lots of brilliant sewing blogs out there. If you want to create one or you want to make yours more popular, read on for our tips to grow your followers…
- Link your blog to your social media accounts. WordPress, for instance, can be set, so your blogs appear on Twitter, and Facebook et al. the minute they are published.
- Follow other people with the same interests. They will follow you back, and you might find their audience likes what you do.
- Write relevant information that helps people. If you type sewing queries into Google, the autocomplete will often suggest what other people are asking – things such as how do I care for my vintage sewing machine, or how do I use a heavy-duty leather sewing machine. A mix of general and niche is good.
- Make sure your blogs are easy to read. Use short sentences and paragraphs, and check for typos before you publish.
- Use plenty of pictures – or videos. They often demonstrate a point in the best way.
- Use good keywords thoughtfully. Keywords are the words associated with a particular business or topic that people type into search engines.
- Guest post on other sewing or craft blogs. If you can offer well-written, useful information, other people will want it. Encourage guest posts on your own blog.
- Update your blog regularly. You don’t want to bombard people as they will stop following, but once a week is a good target to aim for.
- Respond to likes and comments. It’s only good manners to reply to any comments. And it makes people feel the time they have taken to say something was worthwhile.
Good luck with your sewing blog!
Sewing4Everyone specialises in the sale of refurbished sewing machines, including the vintage sewing machine. Check out our full range here.